Smokovych М. Administrative proceedings in Ukraine: formation and challenges
The article is dedicated to the fifteenth anniversary of the adoption of the Code of Administrative Procedure of Ukraine. In the context of this significant event, the origins of the formation and development of administrative justice in Ukraine have been studied. Practice shows that the importance of administrative justice in the formation and development of Ukraine as a democratic, legal, social state is extraordinary.
It was found that the conceptual approach in terms of the formation of administrative justice, which was originally laid down in the Concept of Judicial and Legal Reform in 1992, was later properly enshrined in the Code of Administrative Procedure of Ukraine in 2006. The essence of the concept is a fair, impartial and timely resolution of disputes in the field of public law by an administrative court in order to effectively protect the rights, freedoms and interests of individuals from violations by the subjects of power. The article analyzes the experience gained in administrative proceedings and highlights some problems of its practical implementation.
It is determined that in order to timely resolve disputes in the field of state and legal relations, to ensure equal distribution of workload among judges of the Administrative Court of Cassation within the Supreme Court and to ensure effective protection of rights, freedoms and interests of individuals, rights and interests of legal entities from violations on the part of the subjects of power, it is necessary to make some changes to the legislation on the judiciary of Ukraine. The legislative changes defined in the article will positively affect the practical implementation of the principles of the rule of law and legality in the state mechanism.
Key words: administrative proceedings, principle of specialization, specialized chambers, equality of legal opportunities of material and procedural nature.
- Decree of the President of Ukraine «On Measures to Implement the Concept of Administrative Reform in Ukraine» of July 22, 1998 № 810/98. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/810/98?find=1&text=%D1%81%D1%83% D0%B4#Text.
- PACE Resolution 1466 (2005) of 5 October 2005 «On the Fulfillment of Ukraine’s Duties and Obligations». URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/994_611#Text.
- Decrees of the President of Ukraine «On the establishment of local and appellate administrative courts, approval of their network and number of judges» of 16 November 2004 № 1417/2004, «On the number of judges of administrative courts» of 16 May 2007 № 417/2007, «On Improving the Network of Administrative Courts» of October 16, 2008 № 941/2008. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/941/2008#Text.
- Decree of the President of Ukraine «On the appointment of judges of the Supreme Court» of May 7, 2019 №195/2019. URL: https://www.president.gov.ua/documents/1952019-26714.
- Judgment of the Constitutional Court of Ukraine of December 24, 2004 № 22-рп/2004. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/v022p710-04#Text.
- Smokovych M.I. (2012) Definition of jurisdiction of administrative courts and delimitation of judicial jurisdictions: monograph. Kyiv, Jurinkom Inter. 304 p.
- ECHR, Judgment of 15 November 1996, Chahal v. The United Kingdom (paragraph 145). URL: http://search.ligazakon.ua/l_doc2.nsf/link1/SOO00780.html.
- ECHR, Judgment of 5 April 2005, Afanasyev v. Ukraine (paragraph 75). URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/980_239#Text.
- ECHR, Judgment of 23 November 2000, Case «Former King of Greece and Others v. Greece», (paragraphs 79, 82). URL: https://ips.ligazakon.net/document/SO0200.
- Draft Law of Ukraine «On Amendments to Article 37 of the Law of Ukraine «On the Judiciary and the Status of Judges» Concerning Ensuring Even Workload on Judges of the Administrative Court of Cassation within the Supreme Court» (registration number № 3730 of June 24, 2020). URL: http://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb2/webproc4_1?pf3511=69261.