Sarnavskyi O. M. Differentiation of criminal liability for war crimes
The article is devoted to the study of the system of means of differentiation of criminal liability for war crimes provided by the General and Special Parts of the Criminal Code of Ukraine. An analysis of the norms of the institute of release from punishment and its serving, the institute of criminal record, which reduced the criminal-legal influence on servicemen who committed war and general criminal offenses. A comprehensive analysis of the norms of military legislation and the norms of the institute of criminal responsibility and punishment of minors on the expediency of mitigating the liability of minors.
Prevention and counteraction to crimes against the established order of military service (war crimes) is one of the areas of criminal law policy of the state. Responsibility for committing this category of crimes is provided by the norms of Section XIX of the Criminal Code of Ukraine (hereinafter – the Criminal Code of Ukraine). These norms provide criminal protection of a wide range of content and scope of public relations.
The legislator as a subject of differentiation of criminal responsibility has created in the General and Special parts of the criminal law a system of means of differentiation of criminal responsibility for war crimes. However, the analysis of this system, conducted through the prism of the implementation of the principle of justice in its criminal law, provides grounds for some unbiased criticism.
The purpose of this article is to examine the system of means of differentiation of criminal liability for war crimes provided by the General and Special Parts of the Criminal Code of Ukraine and to suggest ways of its legislative improvement.
Key words: differentiation of criminal responsibility, war crimes, limits of criminal-legal influence, punishment, criminal record, serviceman, military service.
- Gutorova N. O. Differentiation and individualization of criminal liability: current status and prospects. Actual problems of criminal responsibility: materials of the international. scientific-practical conf. (Kharkiv, October 10—11, 2013) / editors: V. Ya. Tatsiy (editor-in-chief), V. I. Borisov (deputy editor-in-chief) and others. Kharkiv: Pravo, 2013. S. 74‒78.
- On military duty and military service: Law of Ukraine № 2232-XII of March 25, 1992. Information of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. 1992. № 27. Art. 385.
- Stashys V. V., Tatsiy V. Y. Conceptual provisions and the system of the current Criminal Code of Ukraine. Yearbook of Ukrainian law. 2010. № 2. S. 172‒182.
- On the application by the courts of Ukraine of legislation in cases of juvenile delinquency: Resolution of the Plenum of the Supreme Court of Ukraine № 5 of 16.04.2004 Bulletin of the Supreme Court of Ukraine. 2004. № 5. S. 4‒8.
- Kovtun N. Ya. Types of additional punishments for minors: monograph. Kyiv: In Yure, 2011. 208 p.
- Sarnavsky A. N. The specifics of the release of servicemen from criminal liability and punishment in connection with the disease in the criminal legislation of Ukraine and the Russian Federation. Eurasian Law Journal. 2013. № 9 (64). Pp. 95‒97.
- Sarnavsky AN Punishment in the form of arrest and its execution in respect of servicemen under the laws of Ukraine. Justice of Belarus. 2013. № 12. S. 35–38.
- Antonyuk N. O. The concept of differentiation of criminal liability. Law of Ukraine. 2019. № 9. S. 196‒214.
- On amendments to the Criminal Code of Ukraine to strengthen the responsibility for certain war crimes: Law of Ukraine № 194-VIII of 12.02.2015 Voice of Ukraine. 2015. № 39.