Bihunets I. M. Obtaining evidence on the territory of a foreign state in the context of international cooperation during criminal proceedings: legal opportunities of defendant lawyer.
Modern domestic criminal-procedural practice often «meets» cases where criminal proceedings are instituted in the territory of Ukraine, requiring evidence from certain authorities and institutions in the territory of other states. In this regard, the issues addressed in this article will directly or indirectly address the study of the defense counsel’s power to obtain evidence in the territory of a foreign country in the context of international criminal proceedings. This area needs detailed research, because there is a need to detail the legal provisions, develop appropriate forensic recommendations
The main purpose of this article is based on the scientific and theoretical analysis of certain aspects of the normative and practical exercise by defense lawyers of their powers to obtain evidence in the territory of a foreign country in the context of international cooperation during criminal proceedings. The article also analyzes some legal norms of domestic legislation and international treaties and agreements, which regulate the exercise of defense powers by lawyers, including in the context of international cooperation in criminal proceedings. In addition, the article presents the authors’ own arguments and suggestions about the need to amend certain norms of the current legislative acts of Ukraine, in terms of providing the defenders with an effective legal opportunity to obtain evidence in the territory of a foreign country, during international cooperation, and the importance and relevance of the adoption of relevant international legal documents that will facilitate the exercise of the authority of the defense party to gather evidence in the context of international crime investigations lnyh proceedings.
Key words: powers of a defense attorney, obtaining evidence in the territory of a foreign state, international cooperation during criminal proceedings.
- Chornous Yu. M. International Legal Assistance: Content and Issues of Improving Implementation // Bulletin of criminal proceedings. 2015. № 2. P. 96–101.
- Criminal Procedure Code of Ukraine of April 13, 2012 No. 4651-VI. URL: http://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/4651-17.
- Buomensky M. V. International Law: Teach. tool. / per row MV Buromensky. Kyiv: Yurincom Inter, 2006. 336 p.
- Malanyuk A. G. Criminal proceedings related to international relations, according to the legislation of Ukraine: author. diss. … Cand. lawyer. Sciences: 12.00.09 / Acad. Ukraine’s legal profession. Kyiv, 2004. 20 p.
- European Convention on Mutual Assistance in Criminal Matters, 1959, with the Additional Protocols 1978 and 2001 thereto. Collection of International Treaties on Legal Aid in Criminal Matters. Multilateral treaties. Kyiv, 2006. P. 112–232.
- Convention on Legal Assistance and Legal Relations in Civil, Family and Criminal Matters: Adopted 22 January. 1993 Protocol to the Convention on Legal Assistance and Legal Relations in Civil, Family and Criminal Matters: Signature. March 29 1997 Collection of International Treaties on Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters. Multilateral treaties. Kyiv, 2006. P. 463–499.
- Official website of the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine.
- Dufenyuk O. M., Marko SI Collection of material evidence at the stage of pre-trial investigation: problems of theory and practice. Comparative analytical law. 2015. № 2. S. 238–241. URL: http://www.pap.in.ua/2_2015/72.pdf.
- On Advocacy and Advocacy: Law № 5076-VI of 5 July 2012.
- Basic provisions on the role of lawyers. Adopted by the VIII UN Congress on Crime Prevention in August 1990 URL: http://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_835.
- Recommendation 2121 (2018) on the drafting of the European Convention on the Profession of the Lawyer 24.01.2018 / Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe. URL: http://yur-gazeta.com/publications/practice/inshe/profstandarti-advokaturi-mizhnarodniy-poglyad.html.
- The Constitution of Ukraine of June 28, 1996 № 254k / 96-BP. URL: http://zakon5.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/254k/96-c.
- European Convention on Mutual Assistance in Criminal Matters of 20 April 1959 / Council of Europe. URL: http://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_036.